Location and Campsites
Our campsites offer a peaceful place to stay with an unobstructed view. The location is close to amenities in Madras, and is located just 2 miles west of Madras along SW Belmont Lane. The location is also very close to lake Billy Chinook, perfect for boating, swimming, and other recreation. The following campsites are currently available. Click on the images to get a full 360 degree view of the campsite's surroundings, as we know you'll want to verify you'll get a good view of the eclipse. Below the campsites you'll find more detailed information on what to expect. An area map is also provided at the bottom of the page.
EARTH - Campsite A
EARTH is also known as Campsite A. We're planning on most campers staying in this location, and will open up other campsite locations if this one fills up quickly. We recommend getting a spot while it's available, instead of waiting for others to open up. Click 'View Campsite Map' below to pick out a sweet spot!
LUNA - Campsite B
LUNA is Campsite B. We've just opened it up to accommodate more guests. As with EARTH, we will open up other campsite locations if this one fills up quickly. We recommend getting a spot while it's available instead of waiting for others to open up. Click 'View Campsite Map' below to pick out a great site!
SOL - Campsite C [in progress]
SOL is Campsite C, and is currently unavailable but may open as more spots fill up. Check back later to see if it's been opened, but don't wait too long! It's far better to secure a spot early than risk not getting one.
What to Expect
We get that many people will just want to pick a spot and move along to preparing for the trip, but these details will help give everyone a better idea of what to expect for all campsites:
- Potable water and portable restrooms will be located nearby. Please bring a suitable container for water to reduce the number of trips.
- Each campsite will permit up to 2 vehicles, or up to 4 motorcycles. Vehicles include RVs, though note that there will be no hookups or sump. Campsites are 30' x 72', so ensure your vehicle(s) will easily fit within these dimensions.
- Up to 8 people are allowed at each campsite. If you need to accommodate a larger group, consider reserving more than one site.
- Conditions will be dry, dusty, and in direct sunlight. We highly recommend bringing some form of shade, even if you're tent camping.
- We are located less than 2 miles away from Solarfest (not affiliated), sure to be a good time because it involves NASA.
- We will have a small convenience store with necessary supplies, as long as they last (more details to come!).
- There will be designated viewing areas, free of vehicles to make sure you don't miss the eclipse.
- No campfires will be allowed. Because we're in the High Desert area, the climate is hot and dry and the eclipse is during the peak of fire season. Plan to use other methods (propane grills, etc) for cooking.
- Plan for adverse traffic conditions. Madras is a small town with few main roads into/out of town, and due to the number of expected visitors for this celestial event, transportation options may be limited. Prepare for alternative transportation methods (biking, walking), and to stay in Madras longer than expected. We're offering you 5-day/4-night sites for a good reason!